Instagram

Monday, July 14, 2014

Awesome 4th Grade Reduction Printmaking

It's summer! For me, that means getting to spend tons of time with my daughter, working my butt off on some grad classes, and forgetting to update the blog with projects I didn't have time to post at the end of the school year. Well, I'm finally getting around to doing a little posting. I have several projects I need to write about, so my goal is to get a post in once a week or so until I get caught up.

This project is awesome by the way. I've gotten really into printmaking in general and my students absolutely love it. The focus here is reduction printmaking in order to make multiple color prints. It's something my students haven't done before and they get really excited about making prints with more than one color. 

Students start with a realistic sketch of an animal portrait. I'm having them pull inspiration from a series of cow portraits done by Andy Warhol. Whenever I have kids draw realistic animals, I make sure I have a lot of books for photo reference. If you don't do this, you'll wind up with your students drawing what they think their animal looks like as opposed to what it actually looks like. Once the students have their drawings finished, it is simply a process of pressing certain details into a foam printing plate, printing, then adding more details/cutting the foam. I have a full photographic demonstration at the bottom of my post of this project from last year if you're interested. 



No comments: