Instagram

Monday, December 20, 2010

5th Grade Adinkra Printmaking


This is my third year at Thomas and I'm gradually purchasing more tools and materials to use in the art room.  This fall, I bought gauges and "soft-cut" linoleum to use for printmaking.  5th grade was excited to get to do a printmaking project and be the first group to use the new tools.


This particular project was inspired by Adinkra symbols.  Each of the symbols have a unique meaning and are used by the Asante people of Ghana.  Each student chose one symbol that they felt represented their own personality.  The symbol was drawn in both a positive and negative form.  Next, the symbols were drawn on 3"x3" squares of the soft-cut linoleum.  Gauges were used to carve away the linoleum.  The positive image was carved on one side and the negative image was carved on the other side.  When carving was finished, students printed using black block printing ink.  Borders were done using oil pastels.  I'm really happy with how these came out.  I'm definitely keeping them for the art show this spring!  Thanks to my friend and colleague Drew Jones over at www.riversideelementaryart.blogspot.com for the lesson idea!

2 comments:

Jasmine Mirra said...

I love looking at what you students did!
It's always beautiful!

Jaelma said...

What beautiful work from your young artist! It is always wonderful to see what children create. This project gave them so many skills and new experiences...just what they should be doing at this age! I hope to do something similar during this Feb.
Keep up the grr8 work!